A Suggested Job Description for Demand Planner
Roles & Responsibilities / Job Description – Demand
Supply Chain - Sales Operations - Sales Logistics - Marketing
Demand Planning Manager
This Demand Planning position is responsible for all forecasting
activities associated with customers and products. The Demand Planner
creates and maintains forecast models for their customers, incorporating
business intelligence and forecast information gathered from sales,
marketing, finance, retailer replenishment analysts, and other sources
(i.e.: Nielsen or other syndicated consumer data). This position
is the talent pool for the Senior Demand Planner, and Demand Planning
Manager positions within the Organization.
The Demand Planner is the integration point into the sales and
commercial organization. Basic forecast modeling is the responsibility
of this position. This position leads the dialogue each month for
their respective customers and products with key counterparts in
Sales and Marketing.
- Develop demand forecasts (operational forecasts) at multiple
levels of aggregation for multiple time horizons as part of a
demand planning function.
- Review historical sales trends, research demand drivers, prepare
forecast data, develop statistical forecast models, and evaluate
- Coordinate cross-functional research activities to reconcile
significant variances and refine the forecast model to reflect
updated sales and marketing assumptions.
- Interact with sales, marketing, and customer finance to understand
demand forecast drivers.
- Utilize a collaborative and consensus approach by working with
Sales, Marketing and Customer Finance to obtain and ensure that
current and accurate information is used for demand forecasts.
- Use and maintain the Demand Planning software as the primary
forecasting system tool.
- Provide input to the Supply Planning organization in developing
inventory strategies on existing items, new products, and product
- Closely coordinate and communicate customer action plans with
- Create statistical forecasts:
- Gather, analyze and validate data
- Execute statistical modeling software
- Review resulting statistical forecast model
- Apply error analysis techniques to improve forecasting
- Summarize/aggregate statistical forecasts
- Review sales plans , customer finance Budget Updates or Latest
Estimates and demand drivers:
- Present, solicit, and assess feedback on the various forecasts
from sales, and finance
- Recommend adjustments for operational forecasts
- Review promotional plans with sales
- Achieve consensus for operational demand forecasts by facilitating
a collaborative planning process with sales, marketing and finance
- Prepare relevant material to facilitate research and discussion
- Provide input to volume planning ( Latest Estimates / annual
- Facilitate and manage demand planning/customer meetings
- Achieve consensus with the business side and the demand chain
- Maintain demand planning system and software
- Enter and modify data and ensure the correctness of product
- Monitor trends in forecast error
- Identify relevant market-related data and competitive intelligence
- Prepare and maintain relevant reports pertaining to demand
- A customer demand forecast which incorporates current and accurate
market information that allows the company to correctly predict
customer demand and provide its supply chain with the appropriate
information to plan how to meet that customer demand.
- Improved relationships among planners, sales, marketing and
finance, which will lead to effective knowledge sharing and an
optimal consensus forecast to better guide the company.
- Refined systems and methods to continually improve forecasts
so that the company can better anticipate customer needs.
- Execute with excellence in the area of customer replenishment
and feedback to the Supply Chain group the opportunities and risks
regarding customer replenishment performance metrics.
Required Education / Experience / Specific Job-related Skills
Years of Experience:
Two to Three years of experience in the industry.
BA/BS college degree or its equivalent. MBA preferred.
APICS or other forecasting Certification preferred
Demonstrated proficiency in statistics, forecasting and forecasting
methods with an understanding of their financial and operational
impacts. Knowledge of SAP/APO, Manugistics, or Oracle Demand Planning
or other software related to demand planning is preferred.
Experienced with other software packages including Windows, and
Microsoft Office. This position requires strong analytical, organizational,
decision making, and presentation skills. Strong interpersonal skills
are also essential to effectively interact with all teams, areas
and levels of business affecting the forecast process. Good facilitation
skills are required.